Pages

Thursday, December 8, 2011

Advent Week 3: take time to simply be


But strive first for the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.  "So do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring worries of its own. Today's trouble is enough for today. ( Matthew 6: 33-34 )

We've all heard the saying “be present in the moment”.  Sometimes this phrase catches me off guard because by nature I am a worrier.  I am constantly worrying about the “what ifs” in life.  I n also a procrastinator which doesn’t bode well with my worrying.  Though I worry all the time, it doesn’t motivate me to complete things until the last moment such as homework.  I like to say that I work well under pressure, but let’s be honest, everything could benefit from a little more time.  My schoolwork could be better, time with God, and many other things in life, could benefit from a little more time.
This passage in Matthew talks about always striving for the kingdom of God.  As long as we keep the Kingdom (or Kindom as I prefer) all will be given unto to you.  This doesn’t mean that just because you think of God throughout the day and the rest of the Kindom, then you will get everything you want.  God is not a magic genie nor Santa Clause.  I think that it means to always have creation and Gods children in mind when you take action.  Who will this action affect is a good question to keep in mind. 

During this busy holiday season remember to take time and enjoy the day.  Enjoy the person you are with, really listen.  Avoid looking at your phone,  thinking about your to-do list, emails to return, and the house that needs to be cleaned.  Revel in the moment.  Call someone you’ve been meaning to reach out to, make someone’s day by smiling or stopping to say hello,  Stop and smell the roses if you will.
Really take time to be in the moment.  Be in the moment with God.  When was the last time that you set aside a moment for God, and just folr God.  God will always be there and ready, but we have to take and make the time to sit and be.  Take time to really listen.  I had a friend who said “I hate when God talks to me because it usually means that I have to do something”s
Take time to sit and simply wait.  We are all wanting Christmas to come and Jesus Christ be born, but take the time to sit in the in-between, the unknown.  He will get here soon enough, but now is our time to wait.  Waiting is uncomfortable, but take the time to do the waiting and reflection.

This is my challenge to myself and to my community.  I will be present in all the different aspects of my life.  The current moment is the only one that I will get and can never be repeated.  This time is time we are never going to get back 

These are my responsibilities today and are what I can focus on today.  Tomorrow will come soon enough and will bring its own set of challenges, but what is right in front of me can be solved today.  BE PRESENT!!!!!!

Tomorrow will bring challenges all on its own, but today is the only today we are going to get.

Candie ODell hails originally from sunny California, but is currently living in snowy Chicago.  She earned a Masters of Divinity from Garrett-Evangelical Theological Seminary in 2010.  She is in the ordination process in the California-Pacific Annual Conference to be a permanent Deacon in the area of social-justice and social-change.  Currently she is earning a Masters of Science in Nonprofit Management from Spertus in Chicago.  She hopes to combine both of her degrees and open a progressive, faith-based, nonprofit, coffee-shop.  She loves to read, make music, is a political junky, and an all-around rebel rouser.

No comments: